Gammon and Cheddar Pie Recipe
A delicious and simple to make gammon and cheddar pie that the whole family will enjoy. Support British businesses by using authentic Somerset Cheddar and our premium, butcher-prepared Northern Irish gammon.
For the pie
A small Home Butcher's gammon joint
1 Roll shop-bought puff pastry
1 Egg, beaten
200 grams Cheddar cheese, grated
For the sauce
30 grams Butter
30 grams All-purpose flour (gluten free flour is fine)
160 millilitres Milk
60 millilitres Double cream
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Nutmeg, to taste
Gammon & Cheddar Pie
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Cut the gammon into slices 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Grill 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through, turning halfway through.
- Once cooked, chop the gammon into fairly large chunks and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan until it starts to foam. Stir in the flour and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cream, increase the heat and bring to the boil.
- Continue to mix until there are no lumps and the sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour into a bowl and cover with greaseproof paper and allow to cool completely.
- Roll out the pastry and, if using a circular baking dish, cut into a circle larger than the dish.
- Add the gammon to the cooled sauce, mix thoroughly and add to the baking dish. Stir in the cheese and top with the puff pastry.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg. Trim any excess pastry from the dish. Score an x in the centre of the pie to serve as a vent.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180 and continue to bake another 5 to 10 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the pie is cooked through.
- Allow to cool before serving.