Traditional Northern Irish Beef Silverside Sunday Roast Recipe
We've taken another recipe straight from the tattered pages of our granny's traditional Northern Irish cookery book! Today, we're sharing a tasty Sunday roast made with succulent and tender beef, a nourishing medley of potatoes and a lovely effortless gravy. Our tasty Sunday roast needs nothing more than a few top-notch ingredients and 3 or 4 hours in a pot: hands-off perfection!
For the Beef Silverside Sunday Roast
1 Home Butchers Beef Silverside Roasting Joint
1 large onion, sliced
1 cup water
1 or 2 large potatoes, chopped
3 or 4 large carrots, chopped
a few knobs of butter
a bay leaf
salt and pepper
- Add the butter to a large stockpot and melt.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the roasting joint, browning all over for a few minutes.
- Tumble in the potatoes, carrots and water. Season with salt and pepper and a bay leaf.
- Cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook the beef for 3 to 4 hours until well done and tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve over mashed potato, being sure to scoop out some of the lovely gravy.
- Ella Dooly